The Traditional and Symbolical Grand Lodge – Opera (GLTSO)
The Traditional and Symbolical Grand Lodge called “Opera” (because its headquarters were formerly located “Avenue de l’Opera” in Paris) is a young and regular Grand Lodge. It was born in 1958 in a split from the French National Grand Lodge.
With a few Brothers (less than 8000), it originaly practiced the Rectified Scottish Rite. Work in Lodges are generally of high quality. Its members can freely visit the lodges of other Grand Lodges.
History of the Traditional and Symbolical Grand Lodge – Opera
The history of the Symbolical and Traditional Grand Lodge Opera is the one of the French National Grand Lodge until 1958, important milestone for both Grand Lodges.
In 1958, Pierre de Ribaucourt, son of one of the founders of the French National Grand Lodge, is undertaking with other Brethren of that Grand Lodge to create a regular French Grand Lodge which coumd have fraternal relationships with other French Grand Lodges.
Furthermore, it should be noted that in 1958 the French National Grand Lodge is considered by the French Freemasonry as a foreign Grand Lodge (English). It is to escape the British influence and to be closer to their French brethren that many influential Brothers including thirty GLNF Grand Officers of the “Le Centre des Amis” and “Les Philadelphes” lodges created the “French National Grand Lodge – Opera” because firstly located boulevard de l’Opera in Paris.
Since created, the GLNF Opera established contacts with other French Masonic Grand Lodges. In 1982, the French National Grand Lodge – Opera changed its name to Traditional and Symbolical Grand Lodge – Opera. The rite of that grand lodge was originaly the Rectified Scottish Rite. However, some lodges practicing the Emulation Rite and French Traditional Rite joined it. In 1999, the GLTSO joined the Grand Lodge of France to create the United Grand Lodges of Europe.
The Principles of the GLTSO
Not having the constitution of the Traditional and Symbolical Grand Lodge Opera, here is the list of principles and standards that this Grand Lodge meets.
- The GLTSO is a masculine, Traditional and Regular. As such, it initiates and receives only the Brothers.
- It opens and closes its lodges “To the Glory of the Grand Architect of the Universe”. The Masons give their oaths on the Bible open to John’s Gospel. It asks its members a belief in the “Transcendence of Man”.
- The Bible, the square and the compass are present in all the Lodges of this Grand Lodge.
- It does not authorize any political either religious debates Lodges.
- The Traditional and Symbolical Grand Lodge – Opera is sovereign over the first three degrees of its Lodges. Its members are free to visit the French and other Foreign Grand Lodges.
The Tradtional and Symbolical Grand Lodge Opera is, with the Grand Lodge of France, a founding member of the United Grand Lodges of Europe.
Grande Loge Traditionnelle et Symbolique
9, Place Henri Barbusse
92300 Levallois Perret
Website : http://www.gltso.org